Monday, July 8, 2019

how fuckin milquetoast must you be

to think that black midi are "too experimental" or w/e?

first things first: their drummer is pretty dang great, they're the first popular rock band in decades to have a genuinely unique vocalist and even though people compare them to real try-hard, jerk bands I hate like (recent) Daughters and the Fall, they actually seem, like, nice and friendly - and I mean that as a huge compliment for a band working in a cluster of genres that attracts as many total assholes as anything noise rock-adjacent.

I'm probably alone in really digging Schlagenheim despite more or less hating their two previous singles and the KEXP show - I may revisit those, but it feels like there's a lot more subtlety and nuance and dynamics in the studio stuff than their vaunted live show - which is what one aims form, right?

Just wish I could fuckin remember where the riff from the last part of "western" was stolen from!

No comments:

Post a Comment